Thursday, January 19, 2012

My Design Influences

When asked to join this new blog, I was thrilled. I am not at all new to the world of miniatures but I felt it was time for me to create an internet presence to connect with others who share a love of art, miniatures and fashion.

I was introduced to the world of miniatures by my paternal grandmother Anna Rose when I was about four or five years old. She died when I was only seven so it must have been a couple of birthdays before that. She bought me a Colonial style house along with a house full of plastic furniture. Unfortunately, we had a family gathering at my house that my mother's relatives were invited to. My cousins tore apart that dollhouse beyond repair. It wasn't long until I was helping my mother take the trash to the dumpster We ran into one of our new neighbors who moved in the 3rd floor. He was an architecht who was discarding a 3d model (this was a long time before architechts used computer programs) of a contemporary style house he designed. I thought this little foam board house was the coolest thing I had ever viewed. It was so much diiferent than the old brick building I lived in and it was so much different than the Colonial style dollhouse I had. Since then I began creating other conceptual houses and furniture out of cardboard.

You will see that my work is heavily influenced by Art Deco. I love those fantastic Art Deco buildings in Miami Beach. They remind all of us of what Miami Beach used to be in an era that had true elegance and glamour. I also love the 1950's contemporary style that also inspires me. It reminds me of a time when America had values. Sure the country may still have had it's problems but nothing like what it is today. I am so glad to see that there is such a huge trend towards modern miniatures and of all the dollhouse design inquiries I have been getting, Art Deco tops that list.

If the art form of miniatures is to be of interest to the younger generation, then it is necessasry to make them new and modern for them. The serious collectors have a passion for the Victorian era-no doubt about it. But the young ladies want trendy and modern designs.

There are a few designers who have created contemporary mini houses but these are few and far between. it seems like the majority of these designers are based in the UK and some do not ship to countries like the United States. 

I am currently working on some ultra modern house designs and I am working on new furniture designs as well. My newest furniture creations are some funky 1950's style club chairs and an Art Deco dollhouse.

No comments:

Post a Comment