Wednesday, February 1, 2012

Out of Africa plants

Today I received my two rare pachypodium babies from Out of Africa plants. I was very excited to have my new additions to my pachypodium collection and I am fortunate enough to live in a climate where I can keep them out in my (secure) backyard almost every day. Out of Africa is owned by Mike and Maureen Massara in Naples Florida. My order was placed on January 29th and they arrived at my door today! They were expertly packaged for shipping and were sent in their pots, to avoid shock to the plants. This is the first time that I have ordered from them and I have previously ordered other rare pachypodiums from TeeDee cactus in California. I highly recommend both of these companies if you are a collector looking to acquire new specimens.

I will take some photographs of my plants to show you and will upload them soon. On a side note, even if you don't enjoy gardening, digging in the soil can be healthy for you. A bacteria called Mycobacterium vaccae that acts like an antidepressant once it gets into your system. Mycobacterium vaccae increases serotonin and norepinephrine levels in the brain and makes us feel happier. The discovery was made a decade ago and the study was published in the 2007 edition of "Neuroscience."

So in a time when chemicals and harmful bacteria are being found in our food sourses, this is another great reason to grow your own healthy fruits and vegetables.

No comments:

Post a Comment