Tuesday, February 21, 2012

Saks Fifth Avenue says dogs are Ultimate Accessory


Note to Saks Fifth Avenue: dogs (or cats, or any other animal) are not fashion accessories. I anxiously awaited the March issue of Vogue magazine of which I am a subscriber. I love Vogue so much that I am paid up for the next two years. Imagine my horror as an animal rights advocate when I turn to a full page ad in Vogue for Saks Fifth Avenue's personal shopping club. The ad is towards the front of the magazine, on the flip side of another Saks ad showing an Oscar De La Renta number and opposite another full page ad for Saks featuring Donna Karan. I was so stunned that I have put the book down and have come here to write about it.

The ad in question features a model wearing Giambattista Valli. The small print at the bottom of the page says "Our shopping Associates will treat you like a celebrity in the Fifth Avenue Club, where they'll assemble clothing accessories and cosmetics for you in a private suite. We even take care of the ultimate Beverly Hills accessory-we'll walk your dog while you shop."

Okay, stop the presses. Saks could have mentioned their dog walking service without referring to dogs as the Ultimate accessory. This really burns me up and I'm sure this is going to anger a lot of people who took the time to read what this ad says.

Fashion has never been kind to animals. People buy dogs and cats everyday and then when they don't match the decor or their outfits, they get sent to their deaths in our animal shelters. This was a very irresponsible thing to say and encourage. Animals are not ultimate fashion accessories. They are living, breathing beings that have emotions. Acquiring them takes commitment. This is not about tossing out your out dated drapes or last season's clothing but sadly, this mentality does lead to animals being abandoned. As someone who rescued three cats, a dog and turtles, I am apalled by this statement. All of my animals were left to die because somebody thought their lives were of no value. The fashion industry needs to take a stand against this attitude.

Shame on you Saks Fifth Avenue!

No comments:

Post a Comment