Sunday, February 5, 2012

Scruffy the cat tragedy turns into Activism

Scruffy was euthanized by Arizona Humane Society on December 8, 2011

When I first heard about Scruffy, the little kitten who was euthanized at the Arizona Humane Society because her owner Daniel Dockery couldn't get the money together fast enough for their liking, I thought where was Scruffy's happily ever after? She defied the odds. Abandoned at birth and a compassionate soul found her, loved her and cared for her. She defied the odds only to end up euthanized by a shelter.

Few months ago, I found a kitten, I named him Merlin. Merlin was found abandoned at the side of a highway in Miami. All those cars flew past. Nobody stopped. I did. He was safe. I brought him home. He was starving and his bones were showing. He ate, gained weight but still was sickly. I brought him to and from the vet many times. At his third visit they found out Merlin had leukemia. The shelfish people abandoned this baby when he was sick and needed them most. The vet recommended he be euthanized but I couldn't bring myself to consent. He died later that same day. It was then I thought of the obstacles that Merlin overcame..the abandonment, the passing cars... and I wondered where his happily ever after was. Scruffy's story reminded me of Merlin. This was another baby that deserved so much more than what they got.

If there is a brought side to Scruffy's story, she has become a bit of a celebrity. Some concerned folks have created a Facebook page in her memory and have used that venue to become a voice for not only Scruffy but for abused and abandoned animals all over the world.

No comments:

Post a Comment